Mold and fungus play a very important role in Nature. They decompose dead organic matter including, plant and animal cells, and even garbage and convert them into basic inorganic molecules that become part of the soil and used again to feed live plants. They play a very important role in the balance of our ecosystem.
However, when fungus and mold get inside your home, they can be threatening, cause disease, and even death.
Well, these guys don’t exactly have teeth, but the damage and danger that they pose are just as scary. Mold and Fungus require a source of organic matter plus oxygen, water, and warm temperatures to grow efficiently.
Non-toxic: During the Winter in the coldest parts of the country, we typically do not open our windows to allow fresh air to circulate into our bathrooms and reduce the humidity. As a result, in its most simple form, fungus can invade the flooring in your showers where it will find a damp surface, residual cells from your body and warmth from the repetitive hot water … and present ideal conditions for the growth of Athlete’s Foot fungus. The solution is either regularly clean with either chemicals (ammonia or chlorine-based household cleaners) or more natural solutions such as Olive Leaf Surface Cleaner. Should you get Athlete’s Foot fungus, you would have the choice of chemical over-the-counter remedies such as Lamisil, Lotrimin and Miconazole. Or if you prefer natural non-toxic remedies, there are: Tea Tree Oil, Grapefruit Seed Extract, adding a clove of garlic to your food, or Seagate’s OliveViate (which contains both Olive Oil and Grapefruit Seed Extract).
Toxic Mold: The least of your problems is Athlete’s Foot. The real danger is toxic mold and fungus during the Winter as a result of frozen pipes bursting, foundations flooding, and ceilings and roofs leaking water into your attic or insulation.
If you live in a multi-residential structure such as an apartment building, water leakage in an adjoining unit can spread mold into your apartment. Molds produce mycotoxins, toxic chemicals, that are the result of the mold or yeast cell decomposing and releasing toxins that are dangerous to your health. One of the most toxic is Stachybotrys or “black mold” which is normally found in the soil, but can also be found in water-damaged buildings. It can grow in wallboard, wood, and wallpaper. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) website is still in denial that black mold can cause disease. However, it is very dangerous, can spread into your body and is particularly dangerous to people with compromised immune systems, asthma, respiratory illnesses, young children, and the very old. The only real remedy to having a toxic house is to open the walls and remove all the water-damaged building materials. Olive Leaf Nasal Spray can give you temporary relief to the respiratory symptoms from the mold spores and mycotoxins, but is not a permanent solution to the ongoing toxicity of your home.
Lobsters are scavengers, living off dead fish and marine plants. In the tropics they like to live in holes, coming out after dark when they are at less risk from their predators. This lobster decided to pop out for a few moments to confront the photographer who was getting to close to his hole.