Winter is a time when everything seems to dry out because of reduced outdoor humidity and harsh indoor heaters. Your hair, skin, nails, nose, and eyes are desperate for moisture, and it’s up to you to restore what they naturally crave.
Hair products are notoriously riddled with chemicals, and if you don’t believe us, just read that back of your product bottles next time you take a shower. For thousands of years, humans cleaned and conditioned themselves without all these complicated ingredients, and you can still maintain good hygiene with an all-natural approach today.
Benefits of Olive Oil Hair Treatments
Our 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil is one of the very best natural ingredients for hair care because of its moisture-boosting and restorative properties.
These are some of the benefits of using all-natural olive oil on your hair.
- Condition split ends
- Add body and softness
- Strength weak strands
- And shine and luster
- Moisturize over-processed hair
- Reduce dandruff and dry flakes
- Encourage healthy hair growth
- Improves blood circulation in the scalp
Olive Oil Hair Recipes
The simplest way to use olive oil on your hair is to simply massage it into your hair and scalp for a few minutes before washing. For deeper conditioning, pull on a shower cap and let the olive oil soak into your hair for about 15 minutes before shampooing.
These are some of our favorite hydrating DIY winter hair recipes that use olive oil:
Olive Oil, Egg Yolk & Lemon Conditioner
- Combine 1/2 cup of olive oil with 1 egg yolk and a few drops of lemon juice in a bowl.
- Stir well and apply the mixture to your scalp, coating your entire head.
- Add more for long hair.
- Allow the condition to sit for 15 minutes and rinse out.
Olive Oil, Avocado, Banana, and Mayo Conditioner
- Combine 1/4 avocado, 1/2 banana, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 3 tablespoons mayonnaise in a blender.
- Blend the ingredients together to make a paste.
- Apply to your hair and let sit for 15 minutes before rinsing out.
- This mixture adds protein and a little natural protein to your strands!
Olive Oil, Honey & Cinnamon Deep Conditioning Paste
- Put 1 cup of olive oil into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for approximately ten seconds.
- Add ¼ cup of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Stir into a paste, apply to the hair, and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Shampoo as normal and repeat this process once per week.
Olive Oil, Greek Yogurt & Honey Scalp Mask
- Stir together enough Greek yogurt to cover your entire head and 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and massage in.
- This is a great treatment for dry, itchy scalp and dandruff!
Olive Oil, Avocado & Peppermint Oil Hair Mask
Peppermint is a naturally refreshing and rejuvenating, not just in your diet but also for your hair. Try mixing avocado, olive oil, and honey together to create a hair mask and then add a sprinkle of peppermint tea into the mixture to stimulate your scalp and add a lovely scent to wake up your senses.
Other Natural Ingredients for Hair
Olive oil is an effective and affordable hair care solution for the dry winter months, but there are several other natural ingredients worth trying as well. As you browse through DIY hair care recipes, these are some other great ingredients to clean, condition, and strength your hair:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Coconut oil
- Essential oils