Smoothies are among the healthiest snacks and quick meals you can make because they can pack in lots of nutrients and keep you feeling full on whole foods. However, most people gravitate towards fruits, such as strawberries and bananas, when they pull out their blenders. Yet there are some excellent opportunities for vegetables here too since smoothies are an ideal way to sneak more veggies into your daily diet.
Here are some vegetable-focused smoothie ideas to go beyond your fruit-only comfort level and try something new.
Vegetables That Work Well in Smoothies
Green smoothies are the quintessential type of vegetable smoothie, and these often contain spinach or kale. Smoothies with leafy greens are great for getting an extra dose of vitamins and minerals because they blend well with other ingredients. But there are other vegetables that work well in smoothies too, such as celery, cucumbers, carrots, and beets.
You can also add zucchini to a smoothie with bananas, cauliflower to a smoothie with berries, or snow peas to a smoothie with citrus fruits. Sweet potatoes, squash, and Jerusalem artichokes can be blended into smoothies too for a little variety and additional health benefits.
These types of combinations may sound a little intimidating at first, but making smoothies is all about experimentation, and there’s no harm in a little trial and error to find veggie smoothie recipes you love.
Sample Veggie Smoothie Recipes
If you’ve looking for a traditional green smoothie, here’s an easy recipe to try that packs in lots of nutrients and healthy omega-3 fatty acids.
Healthy Green Smoothie
- ½ cup spinach
- ½ banana
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 cup almond milk
- Mint leaves
- Add all ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth with no chunks.
- Top with a couple mint leaves for extra flavor.
- Sip and enjoy!
If you’re feeling a bit adventurous and want to try some less-common vegetables in your smoothie, here’s a recipe that brings in the nutrient-rich vegetables of beets and carrots.
Beet, Carrot & Apple Smoothie
- 1 medium-sized beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium-size red apple, left unpeeled to retain nutrients but also chopped
- 1 tbsp. raw honey
- 1 tsp. flaxseeds
- 1 cup water
- Place all ingredients into a bender.
- Blend until smooth, about one to two minutes.
- Sip and enjoy!
Healthy Smoothie Tips
In addition to incorporating more vegetables into your smoothie routine, there are lots of other ways that you can boost the health benefits of your blender concoctions. Here are some healthy smoothie tips to keep in mind next time you’re looking for a healthy snack to satisfy your cravings or a quick breakfast to start your day.
- Toss a few seeds, such as chia or hemp seeds, into any smoothie recipe for healthy and natural protein.
- Add a scoop of natural protein powder, such as pea protein powder, to smoothies if you are exercising regularly or not consuming a lot of meat.
- For a thicker smoothie, try using frozen fruit or tossing in a couple ice cubes with fresh fruit.
- Use nut milks instead of dairy milks if you have dietary sensitivities or simply want to make a vegan smoothie.
- Don’t be afraid to get creative with smoothies. Even if you waste a couple vegetables on a smoothie that doesn’t turn out well, you’ve learned a valuable lesson about what goes well together and what you enjoy drinking!