Seagate has the advantage of year round farming because of our location in northern Baja California. Currently we just harvested tomatoes and now have broccoli growing. We do most of our farming in the Sierra foothills, near the very small town of Ojos Negros, at an elevation of over 2,000 feet above sea level. This has several advantages:
– The farm is far from other farmers who use sprays on their crops.
– We are located in an area having very good clean underground water.
However, we also have to face the following difficulties:
– Frosts and occasional snows during the winter.
– Very high heat during the summer months, where daytime temps. can average over 115F.
– Coyotes and other pests that roam this area in search of food.
– Pests of the 2-legged variety who would steal anything (pumps, water lines, crops etc.) unless the fields are guarded 24/7.
You will notice in these photos that these sheets were put up in order to protect against both rodents and the recent snowfall.
These dogs lying in the shade above do not permit anything, human or animal to enter the area of the crops. Unfortunately in Mexico due to the liberalization of their penal code several years ago, petty theft has become out of control. Their jails are so overcrowded that they are letting all but the most violent criminals free. This has resulted in an astronomical increase in crime, above a level that has become the norm in Central America.
It almost seems like the only place to escape the varmints, both the 4-legged and 2-legged varieties, is to do a dive trip. This year marks my 49th year diving and with many 000’s of hours underwater. It is getting to the point that I am usually older than the combined age of the boat put its captain.