Who says that holiday foods have to be a total indulgence to be delicious and create happy memories with the people you love?
The winter holiday season is actually a great time to start thinking healthily because many of us are spending more time at home and in the kitchen to prepare meals. Here are some healthy holiday recipe ideas that focus on whole and natural foods to make your celebration extra festive this year.
Roasted Beet and Walnut Salad
Beets are great for the holidays with their bright red color and satisfying taste. This is a great starter dish to kick off your holiday meal and one that you can make a day in advance to save time on your celebration day.
- 1 lb. beets
- 1 cup chard leaves
- 1 head garlic
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup chopped dill
- Preheat oven at 325 degrees
- Remove skin from garlic head and cut in half
- Add beets, garlic, 2 tbsp of the oil and ½ tsp. of the salt in a baking ban and cover with foil
- Roast in the oven for one hour and allow to cool
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a bowl
- Remove garlic cloves from skins and add into bowl
- Peel and chop beets, then add to bowl
- Allow the mixture to marinate until the next day
- The next day, chop the chard leaves and add to a new large bowl
- Remove beets from liquid and put with chard leaves
- Add ¼ cup of yesterday’s mixture to new bowl
- Add all remaining ingredients, toss with a spoon, and serve
Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate and Goat Cheese Side Dish
Brussels sprouts get dressed for the holidays with this festive dish that’s nutritious and colorful. It’s filled with favorite winter foods that are hearty enough to keep your guests feeling full too.
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts cut in half
- 1 sliced shallow
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 3 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Toss Brussels sprouts, shallot, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl
- Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet
- Roast the mixture for about 20 minutes
- Return ingredients to the bowl and add vinegar
- Finish off by topping with pomegranate seeds and goat cheese
- Serve and enjoy!
Cinnamon Apple Delight
To bypass ultra-fatty and calorie-rich desserts, consider making some homemade cinnamon apples for your holiday celebration instead. This dish can be served by itself or used as a topping for other treats, such as plain yogurt or vanilla ice cream. It also has the added benefit of making your home smell absolutely wonderful.
- 4 gala apples, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. ginger
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Combine all ingredients except the coconut oil in a bowl and toss until apples are evenly coated
- Add the mixture to a skillet over medium heat on the stove top
- Add coconut oil to the skillet until it melts
- Stir the mixture for up to 10 minutes so that apples become tender
- Serve and enjoy!